If you have accidentally deleted some of the files from SD Card, or lost files to a corrupted card, then also you may be able to recover
the files using data recovery software. There are some options available on every operating system, as well as on the paid programs that
will help you recovering your data easily.
- Stop accessing the SD card. If the files has been deleted, there is a chance that the data is still there, but has just been set to be overwritten by new data. If we are not accessing the SD card, you increase the chances that the data will not be overwritten. So it have been advised that until the deleted files is been recovered, it’s best to remove the SD card from any device.
- Download PhotoRec. PhotoRec is a free, open-source file recovery software that works for Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Extract the program. PhotoRec is not required to be installed. Simply you can extract the photorec_os program from the ZIP file. The os will be replaced with your operating system. For example, the Windows version is photorec_win.
- Insert your SD card. Insert your SD card into your system using an SD card reader, or by inserting it in your camera and connecting the camera via USB.
- Run PhotoRec. PhotoRec opens in a command line interface. Arrow keys can be used to navigate the program.
- Select your drive. Select your SD card from the list of available drives and press ↵ Enter.
- Select the partition. There are Chances that your SD card has only one partition. Select it with the arrow keys.
- Select the File Opt menu. This menu option is along the bottom of the window.
- Deselect files you aren’t looking for. You can speed up the search efficiently by only searching for a limited file types. If you have to recover images, deselect everything except JPG, JPEG, RAW, CR2, PNG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, SR2, and DNG.
- Select the Search menu option to continue. This will open the file system menu.
- Select the file system type. If you are recovering files from an SD card, select Other.
- Select which space needs to be analyzed. Select Free, If you are trying to recover deleted files. Select Whole, If you are trying to recover files from a corrupt card.
- Choose a directory to save recovered files to. For an easy access to folder, Create a new location.
- Wait for files to be recovered. This is a lengthy process and may take a significant amount of time. You will able to see the number of recovered files updating in real time.
- Browse through your recovered files. File names will be corrupted, so you will be required to manually search the recovered files to find the ones you’re looking for. If you don’t find the images you need, you can try a different data recovery option.