So, here it is, the Netgear R6700 Review. The Netgear R6700 is our top recommendation for those budget-conscious shoppers that are willing to spend a little bit more for better performance. The Netgear R6700 Smart Wi-Fi Router delivers extreme Wi-Fi speed for gaming up to 1750Mbps. The Dual Core 1GHz processor boosts wireless & wired performance. High-powered amplifiers and external antennas increase range for whole-home mobility, while Beamforming+ boosts speed for mobile devices, up to 100% faster.
The Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 is a dual-band 802.11 ac router that promises faster speeds than we’ve seen so far from other triple-stream routers. Technically, the R6700 utilizes AC1750 protocol, giving you dual-band wireless speeds of 1,750 Mbps on both bands to your laptop or gaming PC. The Nighthawk has a 2.4 GHz frequency band (450 Mbps) that handles non-intensive tasks like internet browsing, while the 5 GHz frequency band (1,300 Mbs) is reserved for more intensive tasks like gaming or streaming.
Netgear R6700 uses Beam-forming technology which improves the wireless range and enhances the signal focus, resulting in faster connections to mobile devices. With a combination of powerful 1GHz dual-core processor, a USB 3.0 port for fast HDD access, and three detachable antennas, the Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 is a seriously powerful piece of home networking kit.
Netgear is using the same exterior design as the popular R7000 AC1900 Nighthawk in the R6700. The internal hardware components of the R6700 are identical to the R7000. The only difference is that the R6700 only comes with one USB 3.0 port whereas the R7000 has one front USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 port on the back.
Specifications[table id=3 /]
The Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 delivers an excellent storage performance. After being tested via the USB 3.0 connection, the R6700 performed well on NTFS and FAT32 formats, better than most of the routers in the same category. For instance, it returned impressive speeds on NTFS formats – 59.1 MB/s Read and 38.5 Write; and almost the same scores for FAT 32 files –59.8 Read and 36.9 Write.
At a distance of around 10 feet away, the Netgear R6700 delivered the highest throughput (524MB/s). The same performance was replicated at 25 feet away, with the R6700 managing to outperform its rivals at both distances. Overall, the Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 is capable of delivering the class-leading wireless speeds over 802.11ac protocol. It is affordable, and the performance range is way better.
Netgear R6400 vs R6700 vs R6300
The comparison below shows the internal hardware differences between the R6700, R6400 and R6300v2. As you can see, Netgear has added a Low Noise Amplifier to both bands in the R6400 and they’ve replaced the 2.4Ghz power amplifier compared to the R6300v2.Features of Netgear R6700 Nighthawk Wifi Router[table id=4 /]
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1500 square feet wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual-band up to 450 + 1300 Mbps)
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 25 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plugin computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- LOADED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Designed with a 1 GigaHertz dual-core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port.System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux
- CIRCLE APP PARENTAL CONTROLS: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for $4.99/month (1st-month free trial)
- ADVANCED CYBER THREAT PROTECTION: NETGEAR Armor (powered by BitDefender) is network-wide anti-virus, anti-malware, fraud/phishing/ransomware security on unlimited # devices for a 30-day free trial.
- SAFE & SECURE: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
- Note: Kindly refer to the Manuals provided under technical specifications before use.
Netgear R6700 Review – Final Verdict
The Netgear R6700 Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Router is great for use on a daily basis. And it will suit large homes. It has fast and reliable performance. The Netgear R6700 is very convenient. It’s easy to understand why it has become one of the most popular options available. Packed with features like its high QoS full VPN and its attractive exterior design. The Netgear R6700 delivers solid performance at a reasonable price. And it is the perfect option for those shopping on a budget but is willing to pay a bit more to upgrade and get better performance.
Netgear’s R6700 Nighthawk router performed better than the other routers at 10 and 25 feet away. At 10 feet away from the router, the R6700 provided the highest 5Ghz throughput with the TP-Link Archer C8 coming in second. Overall, the R6700 managed to outperform all routers at both distances.